Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Homemade Christmas Ornies

Happy Wednesday!! I am super excited because my Mom and brothers will be here tomorrow to celebrate an early Thanksgiving with us! They will be staying until Sunday. In anticipation of their arrival, I put my Christmas tree up this past Sunday. I usually don't put it up until the weekend after Thanksgiving but wanted it up for their visit. With the economy the way it is and money being tight this year, I made about 90% of the ornaments on my tree this year. I'm gonna share a few of them with y'all today. Please be gentle with me, this is the first time I've attempted homemade ornies!

The first one is my take on a homespun primitive candy cane. I purchased these candy canes from the Dollar Tree. They came six to a package.



Cute, but not very prim. So I decided to take some of the left over homespun strips that I used on my wreath I showed y'all on Monday and tie them onto the candy cane. I hot glued a strip to each end so that none of them would fall off. Then I took scissors and gave them a hair cut. I cut off all the excess fabric which left it looking like a fuzzy candy cane.



Ah, so much better don't ya think?

I also made some cinnamon stick Christmas trees. I took a cinnamon stick that was about six inches long and cut three graduated sizes of homespun strips (are you sensing a theme here??). I pleated each strip like an accordion and secured with a bit of brown floral wire. Then I hot glued these onto the cinnamon stick. I covered the wire with a rusty jingle bell. Then I hot glued a rusty star to the top. Voila, a perfectly prim Christmas tree ornie!



I also made a love knot ornie out of rope, some pip berries, a rusty star and a strip of homespun (of course!). They turned out really cute!



I also made some cinnamon salt dough ornies. I dipped some of them into wax and some I left plain. I think I like the plain ones better. To me they just look more prim. A first for me this year was dried orange slices. I love how these look on the tree, especially when they are back lit by the twinkling Christmas lights! I will post some pics of my tree later in the week so y'all can see how these ornies turned out.

I'm linking up to these parties this week:






Well, gotta run for now. I've got pumpkin rolls to make and laundry to fold. Hope y'all have a great day and thanks for checking in with me today!

Until next time. . .

19 comments:

  1. I made some canes similar to yours, but not as raggedy. Yours look great and I love the cinnamon stick ornie. I would like to see a pic of your salt dough ornies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really cute, Donna.....Your tree must be beautiful!
    Hope to see it soon and your salt dough ornies, too!
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ideas...now I can't wait to see your tree..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your prim ornies. You did a great job and I know your tree will look beautiful. Enjoy your time with family. Make some beautiful memories!
    Hugs,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing a great job on your ornaments Donna. You should be proud of each of them. I hope you have a fabulous dinner with your family and may their stay be a pleasant one.
    Hugs,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you keep telling me you aren't creative! Liar... liar... pants on fire! *laughing* Your ornies are looking great! Can't wait to see the pictures of your tree!

    Hope you have a good day!
    *hugs*
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea with the candy canes..I love all your ideas...Have a wonderful day...Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ornaments! Love the candy canes the mostest! Off to find some I can prim up!

    Carmen and the Primcats

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job making your ornies. Post a picture of your tree all decorated as I would love to see it.

    Enjoy the visit with your family.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see your tree and your ornies pattern (description) came just in time since I am in an ornie swap and I LOVE homespun and also love simple...Thank you soooo much for sharing your ideas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cinnamon stick trees are so cute. And I'm impressed that you have your tree up already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are adorable ornies, Donna!! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas with us. I can't wait to see your tree now. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute ideas!! Look forward to seeing your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your homemade ornaments look great! A really good job! I will stop by and visit again. Blessings to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Stuff! Funny, I just bought some of those candy canes at the Dollar Tree and didn't know what I was gonna do with them lol! This is a good idea! I may try something like this. You just can't beat the price 6 for a buck!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are really adorable Donna! And the patience you have to make so many!
    I can't wait to see your tree, I bet it will be so charming!
    Enjoy your visit with your family and Happy Thanksgiving!
    I always love hearing from you!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just wanted to pop in and say hi, and let you know I gave your blog a shoutout in my blog today! It's regarding your recent post where you made some adorable homespun candy canes, which totally inspired me! I got the idea from your post and made some of my own, and they came out so great!! Such a fun an easy project!! I love your blog, keep up the good work! :) ~ Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well lollipops! I was just in Dollar Tree today and I saw those candy canes. I walked by them twice because it was the last package. I decided against them, now I'm wishing I had bought them! I'm sure they'll be gone before I can get back over there. =[ Awesome idea! I love how they turned out. The main reason I decided against them is because they were so thin, but I can tell in the picture that the homespun (my favorite thing to play with too) really thickens them up. Very cute idea! They are all cute ideas, love the prim Christmas tree out of a cinnamon stick!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your ornaments they are just awesome!!! I will stop back by found your blog just doing a search glad I did. Can't wait to see pictures of your tree.. Love the Prim christmas tree. Looks like I need to make a trip to the dollar store.
    ~Blossom

    ReplyDelete