Monday, August 16, 2010

Made for Monday

I was one busy bee this weekend! I crafted all day long yesterday. I actually tried my hand at making a gameboard. It turned out so well, I made another one! Then I made three small Halloween themed hanging signs. They turned out good too. Kinda look like chalkboards but they aren't. I painted the wood black and then used a white paint pen to write on them. I then distressed them a bit to make them look a little worn.

This is what I started out with. Hubby asked me if I could use this extra sheet of wood he had purchased for a project and then didn't need. I said heck yeah! He cut it into smaller pieces for me.


Here's my first ever gameboard! I am thrilled with it. I didn't have any patterns to go by so I just drew myself a crow outline on a piece of typing paper and traced it onto the board with a sharpie then filled it in with black paint. For the checkerboard, I did the same thing. Drew it out on a piece of typing paper and laid it on my board, marked the edges where the squares needed to be, drew some lines with a ruler and used my black paint pen to fill it in. I wanted a fall look for this piece so I chose orange and black for my colors. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo. I tried to take a pic with the flash on but it made it way too bright. I need a better camera. Hhmm, maybe Santa will bring me one this Christmas!


I had so much fun making the checkerboard I decided to try another one. Only this time I opted for a tic tac toe board. I first painted my board black and then went over it with some yellow paint. The yellow was too bright for my liking, so I mixed in a little of the black paint and ended up with a greenish color. It looks a lot better in person. Again, I'll blame my poor photography skills for the quality of the picture. I used star stencils to do the stars on this one and on the checkerboard one.


And since the crafting mojo was flowing, I kept going and made these three little hanging signs:


While I was busy doing all the signs, hubby was busy outside with his saw and surprised me with this awesome little wagon wheel! We had seen these for sale on our last trip to the Smokies and I saw hubby eyeballing them for quite a while so I figured the wheels were turning (pun intended) in his head! He did an awesome job on it! I can't decide whether I want to paint it or just stain it. What do y'all think?


Whew, I sure was tired after all that crafting! But when I sat down to rest yesterday evening, I thought I'd work on this little fall pillow I've had in mind for a friend. It turned out super cute as well and it matches my fall swag that I showed y'all in an earlier post. You can see part of the swag peeking out from the top of the picture.


It feels great to be crafting again. My brain is running wild with thoughts of other crafts I want to make. Looks like I'm gonna be busy for a while!

I had taken some pics of my awesome July giveaway winnings from Karen at The Barely There Primitive Bear, but I cannot get them to download from my camera. GGRR!! I swear, I believe that I am not destined to show y'all the wonderful goodies I won from Karen. I'm gonna try again tomorrow to get those things to download. I will not be defeated!

Also, tomorrow I'm gonna be sharing a wonderfully simple recipe for Tater Tot Casserole with y'all. Everytime I make it, my family eats the heck out of it. It's really good and really simple! Gotta love that!

Well, that's gonna do it for me tonight. I'm tired and still have laundry to finish before bed.

Until next time. . .

10 comments:

  1. I Love the boards and the wheel..I think it would look good painted or stained..can't wait to see what you do to it. Now you have my wheels turning and if I can find some scraps of wood maybe I will make some game boards for some of the grandkids for Christmas gifts (Maybe I will go on a crafting roll after we get moved)
    I think I am going to have another sale in my selling blog since we are sgort on moola to move.First someone got into my PP card and finally got it straightened out and now it was my bank card..still working on getting that money back. Keep an eye on my blog for my sales and might even have a give away before I move :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the boards you made..and free handed too..you are too good..love that wagon wheel hubby made for you..where do you plan on putting it? I would paint it and distress it to look old..maybe some crackle paint on it too.;) have a good week..I am in crafting mode too..only mine was the bathroom..it is finished..will be posting photos tomorrow..then I have other projects that need to be done..and some swaps to finish...it never ends..but it is fun to be busy..;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna,
    Your new projects are sooo cute. You just needed a little break to rejuvenate those juices. And, I would stain the wheel. Take care.

    Lois L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! You go girl! The gameboards are great!! And I love the wagon wheel hubby made. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You weren't kidding the other day when you said you had been busy! The game boards look fantastic and I love the little pillow. The wagon wheel is great! You DH is so talented. I think I would just stain it but then I love to see the wood.

    Hope you have a great day!
    *hugs*
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness you were BUSY! I love the signs and the wheel, I have a big one outside that my hubby made several years ago, we just stained ours. Very cute pillow too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna your signs are perfect. You did a great job on them. Isn't stenciling fun! Folk Art From the Harbor has such fantastic stencils if you haven't see them yet. How sweet of your husband to make you that wagon wheel. Its adorable. Your pillow says Fall is here. Great job on that too. I think I see a season change happening at your home!
    Hugs,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on those signs, love the fall pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it all girl! I'm new at blogging and came across your blog... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna, your gameboards are so cute! I love the colors and the designs. I can't believe you drew that crow! If I tried that, there is no way you would be able to tell what it was. Haha! Great job! The signs and pillows are adorable as well. I would probably just stain the wagon wheel. Your husband did a great job on it! I sure wish mine was handy with wood like yours, you lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete