Thursday, March 24, 2011

Wooden Easter Blocks

Hubby had some scrap wood laying around that I found last week in the basement so I asked him if I could have it. I wanted to come up with a little sign or something for Easter. He had one good sized piece of wood and some smaller pieces of a 2 x 4 left over from another project. I have been seeing some cute things out in blog land and was inspired! I drew out a bunny shape and had him cut that out of the larger piece of wood. Then he sanded down the blocks and the bunny for me. I gathered my supplies and got to work:



I decided to go with some bright pink and green paint that I already had in my paint stash for my blocks. And I used a vanilla color for my bunny. I took a piece of floral wire and cut it down for the bunny's whiskers. I dredged it through some black paint and let it dry. I painted the blocks with a base color of the vanilla and topped that with the pink and green colors. Then I took a white paint marker and free handed the words "happy" and "Easter" on them. Once they were dry, I used sandpaper to distress them a little bit so that some of the vanilla color showed through.

For my bunny, I left her vanilla. Then I took some blush from my make up bag and using my finger, gave her some pink cheeks and highlighted her ears with it. I glued on her whiskers, painted her a cute heart shaped nose and added some eyes with my paint markers. I took some black paint on a sponge brush and dry brushed the edges to highlight her a little bit. I finished her off by tying a purple ribbon bow around one of her ears.



I love how this turned out! I am going to send this set to my Mom who lives in Arkansas. She loves stuff like this and is always asking me to make her things! I hope she likes it!

I'm linking up to these parties this week:







Until next time. . .

13 comments:

  1. Really cute, Donna. I'm sure your mother will like them!!!

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have ben meaning to do something like this soon. I might be off to the craft store today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I am sure Mom will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Love that little bunny face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those easter blocks..you are one talented chicky.;) your mom will love them..I would.;)have a great weekend.;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These turned out great!
    What a sweet gift.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, they turned out so cute! I don't really decorate for Easter but I sure do enjoy seeing all the creativity out there in blogland for Easter.

    Have a wonderful day,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute. I love making blocks as well. They are fun and super thrifty. I love the blush on bunny. :) Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute! You did a really great job! I love painting too!
    Connie
    http://thecrafterbug.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is not to love about that..... Any mother would love a hand made gift from her daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute! Your mom is going to love this. Thanks for posting my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete